Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by JoeBob
In fact, from a legal prospective, it would seem to me that manufacturers are exempt from any liability in the use of handloads.

Think of it this way. If you buy a commercial cartridge that turns out to be overloaded and you get injured by how the rifle reacts to it,..who gets sued? The ammo manufacturer or the rifle manufacturer?

You contradict yourself. The question is not whether the cartridge is handloaded or commercial, the question is if it is dangerously overloaded, regardless of whether it is handloaded or factory.

What does a highly compressed load 6.6 grains (8.3%) over book maximum say (max is at 79.4 grains, his stated load was 85 grains)? Run the pressure calcs on even QuickLoad and you start getting into ridiculous pressure ranges.

You're mixing up issues. I'm merely making the point that the issue is if a cartridge is overloaded, not if it is factory or handloaded. Your question is a question of fact.

I don't have any position as to this particular set of facts. I'll abide by what the jury said. They heard the evidence. Let them decide.