Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
I don't know if Brian's loads were over maximum pressure or under maximum pressure.

Nor, for that matter, does 4ager. Even though he keeps quoting his holy grail, stating that loads were 8.3% over maximum.

He is forgetting that the "book", that he holds so dearly as the source of all knowledge on pressures in the .300 Win mag, is simply a guide. Using one very specific set of components, in one specific rifle.

Change the primer, and pressure could easily change a couple thousand psi, plus or minus.

Change the case, and pressure could also change, again, plus or minus.

Brian has stated that his loaded COAL was much longer than a standard loaded round. Which could lead to pressure excursions, or possibly to a much lower pressure. Depending on the chamber in which it was fired.

It just so happens that at least two of my T/C barrels have freebore that ole Roy Weatherby himself would be proud of, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that Brian's loads had the bullets well away from the lands, and thus, as another poster has indicated, been at 60,000 psi. 4000 psi short of SAAMI max.

Brian has also stated that he used a different projectile than the "book". Again - this could reduce or increase pressure.

So, unless one were to test the loads in a chamber that simulated the one in Brian's Encore, it is pure speculation as to whether or not the loads were under pressure, over pressure, or to be completely hyperbolic - "bombs".

I do find it rather telling that T/C did not take one of their barrels and create duplicate loads to verify whether or not SAAMI max pressures were exceeded. And then present this evidence to the court. All of a single days worth of work, I'd think. Then again, maybe they did test...

As for me - I'll give the jury the benefit of the doubt - and find that culpability should be shared, with the slight majority falling on T/C. I also feel that Brian is likely to find himself back in court over the matter. And not from an appeal of the judgement, but in the manner he initially presented the information, rather globally...

Thanks for an honest look and post.

BTW-T/C Arms has already filed for a re-trial