Originally Posted by WranglerJohn

The other significant problem was that the barrel locking bolt would retract under recoil allowing the barrel to open. TC modified the bolt by splitting it in half so that neither half would generate sufficient inertia during recoil to retract. The unlocking pin was modified to allow it to float within the bolt. While that solved the problem, we never knew if the two-piece bolt was remaining solidly in contact with the frame or bouncing without unlocking.

Overall, the TC was a design that evolved over time with actual field use revealing the flaws and shortcomings.

Headspace in bottle necked cartridges, both Herrett chamberings, the TCU chamberings, .30-30, 7mm IHMSA Rimmed and others wasn't much of a problem as headspace was set to the individual chamber and barrel to frame fit during forming, by setting the neck/shoulder back until the barrel would just snap closed. This headspaced the cartridge on the shoulder, rather than the rim. However, the frames still stretched and over time would need to be replaced. Apparently, from reader comments, this condition still exists to some degree.

My opinion is that the TC platform, while robust to a degree, is less than satisfactory for high pressure cartridges, whether loaded to SAAMI specs or not. If one is going to spend the amount necessary for a TC Encore they may as well invest in a Savage rifle with easily interchanged barrels, or a Remington 700 converted to use a Savage style barrel nut and barrel combination. If the hunter wants a single shot there are better choices such as the Ruger #1. I can not see the TC as offering any worthwhile advantages over more conventional rifles.

this post by WJ describes in more detail what happened to me with the .454 Encore II posted about earlier(even with the split lug). The split lug still has a common spring, which weakens quickly and allows the action to open on firing. (50-100 rds in my experience).

When it happens, there it A LOT of torque on the grip and I'm willing to bet that the two things highlighted above caused the stock failure in this case.

as to the blacked out damages, they average $6,000 to $8,000 per line or something like $266,000 in total on that page.