Originally Posted by RiverRider
Interesting thread that seems to go in several different directions. All I know is what I've experienced myself with Re17, and that I've got six or seven pounds of it sitting here on my shelf but NO desire or inspiration to fiddle with it. Chronographing is central to my handloading activity, and it's entirely possible that mine has misled me due to one or more of any number of reasons, but somehow that never seems to happen when I am using other powders. Re17 is the ONE powder that just flat scares me.

It has been said that a powder may show excellent temperature tolerance in one cartridge and pronounced temperature sensitivity in another. I'd go so far as to say that MAYBE a powder could look temperature tolerant with one bullet weight in a given cartridge, but misbehave with another bullet weight in the same cartridge. So many questions, and so little time...and money, components, equipment, expertise, yada yada yada.

I like Re16 and have no reservations about it. I'll chronograph the load again when summer comes and I can test at 100 degrees F. I intend to see what the Hunter and .30-06 combination is all about next since I have an 8-pounder sitting there unopened. grin

If that Reloder 17 scares you , box it up and send it to me. I hammers out of my .260 and .243. Even works decent in 7x57. Antelope season here is early October and weather is always 45-75 degrees so temperature issues are no problems. It even works good in my .300 win mag with 130 ttsx's.