Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Hornady Round Nosed bullets are considerably underrated by those mesmerized by pointed plastic.

Ugly, Ugly, Ugly!

Had 150 rounds of those ugly .250 gr. Hornady bastids come with the 2nd hand .338 WM I bought about20 years ago. 15 years or so later, I got tired of looking at the ugly things, so I picked a high-end load (one grain under max, IIRC) out of the book, a different primer (on hand) (and possibly brass, too) and threw together the whole batch of bunch of junk loads to just shoot up. Screw any work-up. Rugers are tough!

Fuggers shoot MOA, drop like a rock at longer ranges, but since I shoot moose at 100 yards or less (mostly), no prob. Now I'm stuck with boxes of the buggers, since my ideal moose season goes like this... Take rifle out of storage, check screws, run patch down bbl, fire 1 round across the bench to confirm POA (I already know how it groups, carries, and shoulders).

Shoot moose. Walk up. Employ insurance round from a few yards out (had the crap scared out of me a couple times.... smile )

Clean gun, put away for another year.

Kinda boring, really. Leaves me free to enjoy the hunt.

I'm probably gonna die before I run out of those ugly things.... I just don't let my hunting pards see them.... smile
Originally Posted by las
[quote=AussieGunWriter]Hornady Round Nosed bullets are considerably underrated by those mesmerized by pointed plastic.

LOL , know what you mean , I remember in the old days when a red hanker chief safety pinned to a hat was your blaze orange .
A lot of old timers swore by the 220gr core lokts, never gave them a spin till two year or so ago and came across a couple boxes at some LGS and thought what the hell .
Still haven’t driven them into any game .
Hope to this year , that old round nose is amazingly accurate in my BAR and 700 , snot 3” low compared to my 125 and 180 loads
But dead center and well under an inch .
Kenneth