Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
you can lead the horse to water?
i am up to two three screw blackhawks now in the .410 caliber.
On the other hand chatting with a gunwriter today i know about some guy up north that likes to shoot those things at elmer keith ranges. the 44 that is.
probably would do better if was using a 41

Lotsa Gunwriters out there today. Anybody we know?

Do they know the famous RJM? cool

As awesome as the .41 is, sticking strictly with .44 magnum chambered guns and simply loading 3 levels of loads (light .44 Special equivalent, medium "all around" and elk/Mack Truck/ Dinosaur) has proven to be about ideal (for me).

BTW, I was up in Keith Country last weekend at a friend's who is a well known trainer in the gun industry for a social gathering/shoot and a couple of us did lob a few rounds at some steel up on the hill.

Part of the shoot was a revolver shoot, but instead of my usual .44, I decided to run a 4" pinned and recessed Model 19 that my dad gave me as a B-day gift a few years back. We ran an old school qual course. It was loads of fun. Normally I am just shooting Jacks with my .38, and I had never actually put the Model 19 on paper. That thing was a tackdriver and the DA was dang smooth. I need to carve on the left grip panel though, as it is not set up for speedloaders.

Guys also ran the MARSOC qual course with rifles, but since I just had back surgery the week prior, and the wife threatened to kill me if I re-injure myself, I opted out pretty much all of the rifle stuff.

Fun times!

Speaking of lobbing rounds at long range, here is a pic the RJM took, when he came to visit. the gun is my 4" 29-2.

[Linked Image]

the gun writer is pretty known, but doesn't go on here. Everybody has their own ideas but i was kind of giggling at some pictures. Some type of course on big bears in alaska, showed a 454, two speed loaders, and ammo on the belt. I was wondering if it was for sasquatch's family. I really started for the most part, shooting a lot that is, with a 4inch model 19. Ammo was about 1.50 a box through the sheriff's department, so i could shoot a lot of it. I still have mine, plus a few others i acquired, new in the box. Mostly i have fired wadcutter's through the service revolver, reserving magnums for the 28. My 19 is very smooth probably from using it so much, but it's still tight. The grips i have work with speedloaders.
In the day, and i am not anything special and not bragging, we use to have what was called a "mexican quail shoot" To mimic a traffic stop where people come boiling out. Stand in a circle, back to the firing line, six steel targets left to right, numbered one through six. varied ranges, you had to shoot in order, plates were mixed, and keep shooting till you hit in order one through six. Range from about five yards to 20yards or so. Had to do a tactical reload so 12rounds fired. At the time it took me about 8seconds to run it with all 12rounds hitting the six plates with ammo in the gun, then doing it again with a reload from a speedloader. the allowed time was 15seconds. I still love that model 19. With 170/180grain hard cast lead, it really smacks stuff. People have the idea that handguns are always short range, just not true. I bought my first ruger super redhawk in44magnum for long range stuff years ago. Banging targets at 10 to 20yards got boring. Interesting enough, in the 70's the courses i took through the sheriff's department, we shot some of it out past 50yards. I still like to bang at stuff way out there like walking in artillery.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 07/28/17.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO