Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Most of my .44's are Smiths.. Given that, what would your favorite loads be for:

1. plinking, rocks, cans etc..

2. general shooting- some rocks, also varmints, maybe game up to and including deer.. Big game would be under 100 yards..

3. your grizzly load.. we don't have them here, but I often fish in grizzly country..

These have been addressed before.. I just wanted to add the notes to my loading book.

#1 = 8.5 grains Unique with 240/250 grain cast SWC loads for light loads.

#2 = 10 grains Unique with 240/250 grain cast SWC loads for mid level/everyday loads. These will work perfect for Idaho Mule deer.

#3 = 22.5 grains H110 with 300 to 320 grain cast SWC loads for anything heavy, such as elk or dinosaurs.

Those three loads will do pretty much everything you will ever need to do with a .44.

In reality, 95% of all your needs can be met with the mid level, 10 grain Unique load.

The 8.5 grain load is a good one to work on pure marksmanship fundamentals without worrying too much about recoil.

I do not shoot too many of the heavy loads through my Smiths. That being said, they are not nearly as fragile as the internet has given them a reputation for being.

While I would not pound many thousands of hot 320 grain loads through my Smiths, practicing and then regulating the sights for big game season should be no issue.

Most of the time I shoot the mid level loads, with 10 grains Unique through my Smiths.

McKAy,

Interesting and rewarding to me to find that your mid range load and mine are the exact same load. Since my only 44 is an uberlight 329PD, that is going to be my always, do it all load.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500