And now for something off the beaten path-

I bought this via guns.com last summer, who listed it as an "Uberti Cattleman 45 Colt". When I got it in my hands, it was a 70's Iver Johnson Cattleman 44 magnum. I had a 7 1/2" 357 IJ Cattleman about time this 44 was built (1974) and it was a squirrel-murder machine with 38 wadcutters. I love single actions with the 1860 grip frame so wrong caliber or not, it was coming home.

[Linked Image]

Uberti apparently used one front sight for all these guns, The 357s regulated pretty well but like a lot of the 44s & 45s, it shot about 20” high at 50 yards, with full power 240 grain 44 Magnum loads. I can’t abide a gun that don’t shoot to the sights, so I sawed and filed a brass extension and sweat soldered it on top of the front sight.I worked the front sight down a few thousandths at a time, until I got perfect 50 yard regulation with 240 grain magnums. I turned my attention to the 100 yard plate. I used Winchester 240 grain soft point and started holding on the top third of the plate. I could tell I was hitting but couldn't call the hits from that distance. I thought I was hitting high, so I held a little lower and dropped the shot right above the revolver in the photo. That one to the right, I just tossed.

[Linked Image]

For an old 44 with oddball 0.434” throats, it shoots pretty good. The sight mod made it easy to hit with and an icicle-crisp trigger that settled in at 2 ¾ pounds don’t hurt. I'm having more fun with this old Uberti than any single action in the last 30 years.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ