Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

I have done quite a bit of night hunting (legally) of them and when you come back through an area an hour or three later, 80% will already be gone. The desert owls will actually tear off the skin and leave the meat. I have seen a bunch of partially skinned jackrabbits and had wondered what in the world was doing that till I sat on a bluff one evening and watched two little owls skin some jacks I had shot down below me on a desert two track. Pretty neat to watch actually. Beats TV.

ok..I'l ask...since I have never seen an owl in a rabbit skin jacket, what do they do after they skin the Jack???

Since I'm more of a .41 Magnum shooter I only have two handguns left in .44 Magnum...and both of those fairly recently acquired. One is a standard late 90s vintage Mountain Gun...the second a little more "unique".

A friend bought a first generation 6" P&R 629 back about 1981 when they first came out. He had always wanted a 5" 29 so he thought this would make a great candidate for a 5" gun since it would not have to be refinished. Unfortunately the gunsmith who did the job, while and EXCELLENT rifle smith, really didn't have the experience in shortening S&W barrels and have them look close to factory...so for the next 15+ years my friend didn't shoot the gun much...and then with just very light .44 Magnum reloads. One day he decided to have the gun put back to stock and called S&W about sending the gun in... Telling the CS rep that he was really looking for a 5" gun the rep said they had a full lug barrel that was left over from special order that had been Mag-Na-Ported...so my friend ran the gun up to S&W and they installed it while he waited.

The action job had been done by a master PPC shooter... My friend never did like the balance and I ended up trading him a 1989 629 Mountain Revolver for his gun...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

...one of the most pleasant .44 S&Ws I have ever shot...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....