Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
The Last Kingdom is very good, excellent production values and covers a period of history you don't see too much about.

Also, Vikings Season 6 is on Amazon Prime, another great show. It lagged a bit in season 5 but the latest season seems to be picking up okay. I still think Ivar should have been killed about 4 or 5 times by now, but he just keeps crawling along...
I'll have to take a look at The Vikings. I'm not familiar with it.

The Last Kingdom is based on a historical fiction novel but does have some truth in it. I looked up some of the characters. Alfred the Great was very real and the show follows his life fairly closely. He was the youngest of 3 sons of King Aethelwulf. There was an agreement that if the king died, the sons would inherit the throne in order of their age. It would be passed brother to brother instead of father to son. One brother did have a son Athewold who we see in the series. The 2 oldest brothers died young so the throne came to Alfred when he was fairly young. He was the legitimate king because of the agreement. He didn't usurp the throne from Athewold. Uthred is very loosely based on a nobleman from Northumbria who lived about 100 years after Alfred died. He wasn't a warrior and there's no record of him ever fighting the Danes or living with them.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.