Originally Posted by flintlocke
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
In case it hasn't been mentioned, Master and Commander is a truly first rate movie, staring Russell Crowe as the captain of a British Navy war vessel during the Napoleonic Wars. Great naval battle scenes. Free on Prime.

This so true and now, "Far Side of the World". The twenty novels of Patrick O'Brian are at the height of fiction writing. Men's books, written for men. Every major incident in O'Brians novels are based on Royal Navy records. Truth is indeed stranger than fiction.

I've read all of the Aubrey-Maturin (named after the main characters) books and was sad that there were no more when I finished the last one. They are written in early 19th century seaman's slang and take a bit of getting used to. I remember a paragraph where I knew the current meaning of every single word, but still had no idea what it was about. I found a very helpful book, A Sea of Words, that acts as a translator / dictionary. After reading a couple of the books with its help I found I had gotten used to the language and didn't need it very often, but it was invaluable when I did need it.

The books themselves are fantastic and well worth the effort. O'Brian could write a thrilling sea battle and make it come alive in your head. Highly recommended.