Thanks for starting the 2023 thread, Jackson.

I have no particular hunts planned just yet (other than OTC deer and elk) but decided to work on three areas this year.

First, more strength with heavier weights. The past few years I focused on the longevity mindset or whatever it's called now. That seemed to work well from a health standpoint (BP, bloodwork, etc.).

Second, more careful attention to Zone 2 training.

Third is taking up trail running.

Well, I haven't done jack with the trail running just yet for 2023 but strength training is going OK I think. Amazing how even a middle aged body adapts mentally and physically.

I have seen really good progress with Zone 2 though. I think I was overtraining in 2022 trying to build my cardio base for a backpack hunt, but ended up shooting myself in the foot I think. Nothing bad, but I've made more progress in the past three weeks by cutting back and paying closer attention to HR than I did for most of 2022 pushing harder. Counterintuitive and will be interesting to see how it goes when I get back in the coastal mountains instead the gym this year.

As long as I can increase weights, improve times and speeds, and recover quickly that's all that matters to me.

Last edited by 4th_point; 01/29/23.