Originally Posted by mtwarden
Heading out tomorrow up the Swan Range for the Saturday morning start of the Bob Marshall Wilderness Open; this will be my ninth year running I've toes the line. Creeks and rivers are swollen, so we'll see how we can get. Our route chosen route is ~ 110 miles- river crossings will be the crux, as they are most years.

See you guys next week!

I'm out and safe, but very sore. Well we got rained on hard day 1 which furthered swelled the already swollen streams; I got swept on one of the fords in the afternoon- wet up to my neck- not fun! We made 32 miles that day, hiking until near midnight. It rained most of that night, but thankfully quit just as we were getting up. The South Fork of the Flathead was rolling hard, but we had a stock bridge that we could take advantage of- no way to cross on foot without this bridge.

We would have needed to ford two more major rivers to complete the route, but not bridges to assist us. It pained us, but the writing was on the wall- we weren't getting across the next two rivers. We bailed at Meadow Creek in the afternoon, with another 20 miles under our belts.

Looks like we have a dry stretch of weather in the forecast, so I'm seriously contemplating going back and finishing the second half of the route.

74 miles for the week, closing in on 900 miles for the year.

[Linked Image from imgur.com]