I traded a Super Crew F-150 for a 4 door Tacoma 5 years ago. The big Ford was only rated to tow 300 more lbs than my Tacoma, but when pulling the same loads the Toyota does it with more pep. Having a 1500 lb lighter truck with only 10 fewer horsepower makes a big difference.

You would gain a lot more interior space with the full size, but the 4 door Tacoma meets my needs, maybe not others. I always owned full size until this truck, not because needed the towing or weight capacity, but because of interior space. The older Tacoma's were just too small, but the newer versions are really a mid-size.

I'm still skeptical of the full size trucks fuel mileage claims. They brag about highway mileage in trucks with small motors and high gearing. My experiences with those combos has left me underwhelmed. When I traded my 02 Ford for the 07 Toyota the highway mileage was pretty close, about 17-18 vs 20-21. But the fuel mileage where I do 90% of my driving went from 12-13 mpg up to 17-18 mpg. While that may not sound like a lot it works out to about $70 less for gas for each 1,000 miles driven at todays fuel prices. About $100/ month with the miles I drive.

I also considered cost and resale value. I haven't looked at truck prices in 5 years, so the market could be much different now. But 5 years ago, where I live, I could buy the Toyota $8,000 cheaper than any comparble Ford, Chevy, or Dodge 1/2 ton. It was the right decision for me. I'd at least look at the 4 door Tacoma before deciding on a bigger truck.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.