2006 model year for GM was pre-V8 to 4 cyl. operation, which is said to be at the root of the oil consumption problems now, in those trucks.

Had well over 50K on my '06 Sierra Z71 (5.3L aluminum), never had excessive oil consumption issues between changes and I generally went 5K between them.

Aside from all the cyber spittle about bailouts; where the money goes; etc, it is well to remember that most, if not all, Nip automakers were heavily-subsized by their home government, which may or may not account for their initial success in gaining a toehold in our market?

While our government was busy adding additional burdens each year to our auto industry, the Nips were busy making sure their manufacturers' products could be sold here at a profit.

When it eventually became economically feasible to start building their production plants here, they did it. VW tried that many years ago in PA and it never worked out, back when they gave it a whirl. Depends on who ya asked, as to why.

Some blame VW, some blame unionization?

I buy GM because they've been pretty good to me over many years. Looked seriously at a new Taco in '02, couldn't pass up the much better price on a new S-10 ZR2 back then (still one of my favorite trucks). Many friends drive Toyotas, but the new Tundras look pretty fugly to me. Have owned Dodge trucks, will never own another one. So be it.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.