Originally Posted by BIGR
Also I have read where the 5.3 Liter GM engine burns alot of oil after so many miles. I know a guy at work that has 2006 Chevy with the 5.3 Liter. It uses a quart or more between oil changes. Chevy place told him that was normal oil usage. Well to me having to worry about adding oil is not for me. I also know a guy that has a Chevy Tahoe with several miles on it and it use�s 2 or 3 quarts of oil in between changes. Just do a search on the net on this subject.

In the past few years I have lost faith in GM just for those reasons.

Originally Posted by Cheesy
I've got an 03 GMC 5.3L ext cab Z71. 205,000 miles on it. Replaced water pump and both catalytic converters. That is it, since new.

Wife drives an 07 Chevy 5.3L crew cab Z71. 80,000 miles on it. We have put tires on it.

Her's is supposed to have the V4/V8 mode to give better mileage, blah blah blah. Hers gets the same mileage as mine, just right on the nose 16 mpg.

Mine uses absolutely no oil between changes, hers will burn a quart in 3,000 miles. Same as a contractor I use that also has an 07. Same as has been referenced on this forum, and GM just says 'tough'.

I had a 2000 Yukon XL with the 5.3L that gave me no problems in 186K miles. I replaced it with a 2007 model, with a "newer generation" 5.3L: I bought it at 40K, and just clicked over 70K. The SOB uses about 1� quarts of oil in 3000 miles, and the dealer won't do anything about it since GM's spec is 1 quart in 2,000 miles. I've never owned a vehicle that burned anywhere near this much oil.

I was done with GM cars many years ago. I'm done with their trucks now, too.

Were I looking at a pickup, I'd choose between Toyota & Ford. For another Yukon-ish vehicle? I have no idea.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC