Originally Posted by Idared
Originally Posted by walt501
Less desirable product? Quick, name 10 innovations the Japanese have brought to the car and truck market. Go!

Inovations don't necessarily drive vehicle sales. There are many other things that cause Mr. or Mrs. customer to favor one product over another. Reliability is a big one. It's up to the automotive companies to listen and respond. For starters why did two of the big three in the U.S. need to be bailed out. It sure wasn't because they sold too many vehicles was it? Something else was obviously more desireable than their vehicles in the customer's eyes. And don't try to pawn it off on the "people are stupid" theory. Remember the phrase, "The customer is always right". The customer didn't like what somebody was selling so they went elsewhere.

Ford to their credit held on without needing bailout money. I commend them for that. But, I still like their competitor's truck better so that's what I bought even though it cost more money. Obviously you don't agree and that is your privelege. But if you think a vehicle made in the United States with a foreign companies name on it is automatically inferior to one with an American name on it you are only fooling yourself. It's thinking like that that allowed the foreign companies to get their foot in the door to begin with.

If they are building vehicles nobody wants, riddle me this. Why has GM attained #1 auto maker in the world for 2011? You may say that Toyota had it the past few years, but combined over time, GM has sold more vehicles than Toyota ever has. So your theory that they are building products that are not desireable does not hold water.