Originally Posted by VAhuntr
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Originally Posted by BIGR
Also I have read where the 5.3 Liter GM engine burns alot of oil after so many miles. I know a guy at work that has 2006 Chevy with the 5.3 Liter. It uses a quart or more between oil changes. Chevy place told him that was normal oil usage. Well to me having to worry about adding oil is not for me. I also know a guy that has a Chevy Tahoe with several miles on it and it use’s 2 or 3 quarts of oil in between changes. Just do a search on the net on this subject.

In the past few years I have lost faith in GM just for those reasons.

Originally Posted by Cheesy
I've got an 03 GMC 5.3L ext cab Z71. 205,000 miles on it. Replaced water pump and both catalytic converters. That is it, since new.

Wife drives an 07 Chevy 5.3L crew cab Z71. 80,000 miles on it. We have put tires on it.

Her's is supposed to have the V4/V8 mode to give better mileage, blah blah blah. Hers gets the same mileage as mine, just right on the nose 16 mpg.

Mine uses absolutely no oil between changes, hers will burn a quart in 3,000 miles. Same as a contractor I use that also has an 07. Same as has been referenced on this forum, and GM just says 'tough'.

I had a 2000 Yukon XL with the 5.3L that gave me no problems in 186K miles. I replaced it with a 2007 model, with a "newer generation" 5.3L: I bought it at 40K, and just clicked over 70K. The SOB uses about 1� quarts of oil in 3000 miles, and the dealer won't do anything about it since GM's spec is 1 quart in 2,000 miles. I've never owned a vehicle that burned anywhere near this much oil.

I was done with GM cars many years ago. I'm done with their trucks now, too.

Were I looking at a pickup, I'd choose between Toyota & Ford. For another Yukon-ish vehicle? I have no idea.

FC

I would not be happy with that much oil consumption either. Wonder what changed between 2000 and 2007 to cause these issues? Seems like a lot of the excessive oil consumption complaints are from the 2006 -2007 year models.

Thanks for the replies!

Went to one Chevy forum that discussed the oil consumption. About a 10 page thread that goes back to 2008 when people first started realizing their 2007's were burning a lot of oil. The general consensus is the engine that switches from V8 to V4 mode is the issue. GM has a big long decision matrix on what to do when a customer comes in with this issue. First they say 1 quart in 2000 miles is their spec, problem with that is they changed it from 1 quart in 3000 miles when the issue first started. Next they'll put a 'deflector' in the engine that keeps oil from splashing on the cylinders that get shut off in V4 mode, something about this oil builds up on cylinder wall and when its reactivated the oil goes out the exhaust valve. When that doesn't work they'll do a couple of things, have heard they'll tell the computer not to go into V4 mode, have heard they'll put new rings and pistons in. Most say that this solves the problem for only a certain amount of miles before it comes back, basically GM doesn't have a solution, they're grasping at straws and trying to act like they're doing something. Nobody said what they do after the rings and pistons, but several said it didn't solve their consumption permanently. Google it, many many many boards discuss the issues with all the same conclusion.