Originally Posted by RaceTire
VA,
The GM products I have been driving for the past several years have given me great service. A 1/2 ton extra cab with a 5.3 will be a great choice. Good fuel economy and I have found them to be very reliable.
Just bought a 2012 2500HD LTZ w/Z71 and a 6 Liter. Put a Leer XL100 on it (8' bed) and love it. Rides great, noise level very low, excellent power, great brakes, and very comfortable. Only one issue with this beast but I knew it going in. 14.2 mpg highway and 11.5 mpg around work and town.
Last one was a 2007. Traded it with 91K on it and the truck held good value on trade. Gasoline, tires, and fluids in 5 years.
FWIW I noticed that true 4 door trucks had quit a bit better trade value over an extra cab but I like 8' beds and a four door w/8' bed is a yacht.

Dave

From reading and speaking to several mechanics, they all say the 5.3 in the GM trucks is a great engine. It will probably boil down to what drives and rides the best.

Does anyone know when the GM trucks are due for an update? The current body style has had a few cosmetic tweaks here and there but seems to be a pretty old design, IMO.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA