Will keep my answer to the point. Only 30 cal 185 and 190 VLD experience on animals, at basically 30-06 velocities (I shoot an '06, my brother shoots a short barreled SAUM), short to intermediate distances, broadside and slightly quartering shots in lungs, handful of animals up to big elk. All down right there, all bullets exited. Really stellar performance IMO.

I tried Bergers for a few reasons: 1)John Barsness's write-up, 2)an exhaustive internet research of Berger's claims that provided many accounts of success, 3) running ballistics charts for my gun and looking at the real benefit that high-BC provides at moderate velocities and longer ranges, namely in wind drift and energy retention. The kicker was the tiny groups my gun made with them.

Ironically, the reasons I picked Bergers for hunting have so far been irrelevant in my actual use of them. But, just like many Berger detractors on this and other threads, I took my past experience, studied accounts of people I trust, researched what info I could find, and then made a rational decision based on what I want to experience while hunting. I simply came to a different conclusion, which is just fine. I'm not asking anyone to agree with me. Use what you have confidence in, according to what you want to experience.

A thanks to those who, in a desire to further the collective knowledge, have thoughtfully articulated their answers here. You know who you are!

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.