Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I was in the Wal-Mart in Durango, CO, a few years ago and a guy came in and bought a box of 300 Win Mag ammo. He happened to be parked next to my truck and I asked him if he'd seen any good bulls, it was elk season. He said that there was a great bull coming onto his BIL's ranch and he was going to shoot it with his new Weatherby. Since he bought 300 Win Mag ammo, I was thinking Vanguard, but he showed me a Mark V. I looked at it and noted that it was chambered for 300 Wea Mag. He'd never shot it, never zeroed the scope, didn't know that 300 Win Mag was a totally different cartridge. I pointed the difference out to him and he shook his head as though he understood, but I sensed that he really didn't understand. I wished him good luck and we both went on our separate ways.

Had almost the exact same thing happen to me. Opening day of deer season. I got my buck at first light. Took care of business and went into the local gas station, bakery, liquor store, ammo place for a doughnut and a cuppa joe. Guy comes in frantic that he forgot his shells and needs to get back out there. Asks for 300 Roy and clerk says all we got is 300WM. He says I'll take em. I tried to explain the difference and that the LGS would have them 20 miles away, but he knew better and bought the 300WM. Wonder what happened when he found out the difference...

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin