I'd forgotten about it since it was so long, ago, but while in college I worked part time in a gun shop, just for a couple months. It was in a large shopping mall in town (the only one) and one day close to Christmas it was quite busy. It was not a very big shop, so any conversation could be heard throughout the store.

One big black guy, who might have been a college football player, is walking around the store, and says out loud, "I'd like to kill somebody sometime, just to see what it feels like."

A hush goes through the crowd, and multiple people turn their heads to look at this guy. Behind the counter is an off-duty Texas State Trooper named Doug, who was a nice guy but could pretty much pass for a Marine DI. After a couple seconds, Doug says, "Have you considered suicide?" Everyone in the store busts up laughing.

The black guy, flinches, looks down, then grins and looks at Doug and says, "okay, I deserved that." After that they chatted a while, and Doug showed him a couple of pistols. So his wit defused something that could have been ugly.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."