Originally Posted by JoeBob
What about the flip side? You know the clueless gun store clerks, or the outright deceitful ones.

Yep, plenty of that too...I've seen my share. But that wasn't the intent of the OP's discussion...

Originally Posted by JoeBob
I remember watching a clerk talk a man out of a .260 or 7mm-08 for his very smallish ten year old son and sell him a .300 WSM. And I could go on.

Inversely, this reminds me of a guy that came in looking to get his (small) 14yo boy a new deer rifle. I nonchalantly asked where he would be hunting and he told me they only hunt the delta here (think brushy tangles, swamps, etc; no food plots or major clearings). I asked if he was interested in a .30-30 or a small chambered bolt action like a .243, 7mm-08, etc.

"Nope! We don't want any of those. We want to get him a .300 RUM. I don't want any animals gettin' away after we shoot 'em."

I asked if he was serious. That ruffled his feathers. I tried to explain that you don't need that much power for a >100yd shot on a 120lb deer. And when I told him if he was deadset we would have to order it...he succinctly stormed out with his boy in tow.