unions, like any other institution, are organized and run by humans that put their pants on just like you and me... to imply that unions are inherently crooked because one individual or another commits a crime is as ludicrous as insisting that all businessmen are crooked in the same manner as those who operated ENRON, or the savings and loans of a few years back..... The brand of buckshot rhetoric that you've offered here seems a little lame...

I guess my peculiar brand of sarcasm doesn�t translate well to others. I�ve just reread my post and see nowhere any implications or aspersions towards unions as a whole, but rather a direct shot at the head of the union under discussion here, and simply wished to beg the question that if the individual being castigated as a �scab� is �lower than whale$hit� for crossing a meaningless for-show picket line where do the actions alleged against Mr. Bahr place him on the specie $hit chain?

you sidestepped the issue of the individual who agreed as an article of his union membership to abide by union decisions... he has collected union wages... he has received union benefits... and he turned like a rat and violated the trust of the membership at a time when they needed his support.....

No, I didn�t sidestep this issue, simply didn�t address it, but certainly will, time permitting if you�ll first clue me in as to the identity of the �individual� to whom you refer. Perhaps you mean the so-called �scab�? If so and you possess information the rest of us are not privy to such as the content of the �articles of membership� of the CWA or of this particular local to which you refer and whether this fellow agreed to them or not and the circumstances surrounding his agreement please provide them. Also provide his job classification, title or duties, the condition of his employment or in fact any damn thing at all about him, his �brethren� or this supposed incident. Absent this information as a minimum, without even getting into issues such as need or character I�m stymied as to how so many can jump on the bandwagon to condemn this individual.

Or perhaps I�m mistaken in my assumption that you refer to the so-called �scab.� Reading the quote above I see that the individual to whom you refer has �collected union wages� and �received union benefits.� I�m of the impression that our �scab� is an employee of SBC not the union and in fact has been so for many years. Looking back the only individual I see mentioned on this thread compensated by the CWA is Mr. Bahr, to the tune of over $160,000 per annum if the NLRB documents online are correct. If it is he to whom you refer then I will agree wholeheartedly that if guilty of the allegations against him he has indeed �turned like a rat and violated the trust of the membership at a time they needed his support.�

maybe the strike would have resulted in the union gaining concessions from the outfit that they are striking.... oftentimes, too, a strike is settled when the union makes concessions of it's own.... And believe me , partner, i've seen a lot of both..... whatever the case, the issue gets settled by an agreement between men who hammer the thing out.....

I�m sorry John, but the big picture here is much larger and quite different than those you�ve seen in the building trades. It goes beyond the current dispute, SBC, CWA and indeed the entire telecommunications industry and has little or naught to do with pay, working conditions or the like. The real issue, as silly and nonsensical as it may seem to the employee needing to pay bills or feed his family, or even to the public in general is one of accountancy � specifically the underfunding of future liabilities by large corporations under GAAP, and the stark truth is the implications to our economy are much too complex and important to be �hammered out� between the corporations who engineered the problem and union officials who don�t even understand it, or who refuse to for unknown reasons. This issue must be addressed as a matter of U.S. fiscal policy, and sooner rather than later�.