Boggy,as far as John's post[still can't do the quote deal] about the employer having to agree to an election,did you ever hear of Bum Givens? Back in the fifties ol'Bum had an oil field servicing operation in about every West Texas town and some in East Texas.He must have had hundreds of workover rigs and a thousand employees.
One of the big unions decided to organize Bum's hired hands and got a majority to sign pledge cards and then petitioned the NLRB for an election.When ol' Bum was notified of the election[you can bet he knew about it already],he called the stud toolpusher at every yard and told them that when each rig finished the job it was on to bring 'em to the yard.Anybody that did'nt sign a card could hang around long enough to clean 'em up.
He said;"Boys,we gonna have the biggest auction sale the oil patch has ever seen.Ain't no son of a bitch gonna tell Bum how to run his business!Don't they know I got my sock full years ago?Now I got my belly full!
At least up to the mid eighties when I left it,the oil patch ain't never been targeted again,thanks to ol'Bum.
And-Big Stick,you're gonna love this-was'nt a thing the union or the government could do to stop Bum from doing what he done even though they tried.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place