hey sheister,

I can definitely understand why those guys are going after their degrees- to get out of there and get a better job!

most of the guys who had degrees in that place had them when they got there..... the ones who are pursuing degrees now are doing it because the company that we worked for no longer exists.....

about 3 years before the mill folded, we got a new maintenance turn foreman who came from a defunct steel plant in indiana..... about 2 years before the place folded we got a new CEO who had worked all over the steel industry..... the new turn foreman was upset when the new CEO came on board, and predicted the places demise..... it seems that the new CEO was a hatchet man of sorts with the nick name in the industry of "ZERO".... he supposedly got this nickname because he had been CEO over several steel companies... "zero" was the number of companies that he had run which were still in business under the same ownership..... thats how the new turn foreman came to us..... anyway;

a year and a half after the new CEO shows up we declare chapter 11 (protection from creditors).....
6 months after we went chapter 11 the CEO in a news release declared that the company was whole again..... the company was ready to exit chapter 11 and move forward with business..... this was tuesday, may 15th, 2001..... on friday, may 18th, 2001 the company declared chapter 7 bankruptcy and anounced that operations would cease as of 0700 hrs., sunday, may20th, 2001.....

but i'm not bitter about that....

my fully funded, 100% vested, government guaranteed pension? Well, the government guarantee will pay a portion of it when i turn 65...

but i'm not bitter about that.....

the CEO who did this? he organized a successful bid with a former business partner to buy up, in bankruptycy court, the more modern and profitable operations that the mill had..... he is the president of tthe new corporation.....

and that, boys, leaves me a little bit raw.....

"Chances Will Be Taken"