Not trying to start any p*** match either, but I hope you realize that time and a half has nothing to do with your union. It's a federal law.

True you will find lazy people everywhere. But in a union free operation, it is a lot easier to get rid of them, and the enterprise prospers with all hands as a result.

Also, I infer from your bio that you work in a paper mill in a fairly rural part of northern Wisconsin. People there have a much higher and better work ethic than do people in general in, say, steel mills in big cities. I have spent time in every paper mill in your state. In most cases, if you came from a unionized steel or auto plant, you would not even know that the paper mill was unionized.

The unions have taken over the former to the extent that is is almost immoral. For instance, there are rings of people who sell dope and punch each other in when they don't come to work. Management finds out and starts discipline. The union automatically files a grievance. Later, when management wishes to buy a computer or something, the union "gives" them the right to buy it (instead of the union workers making it) in exchange for dropping the disciplinary proceedings. This occurs with the USW and the UAW but not, to my knowledge, with paper mills in Wisconsin. Of course, part of the problem is management too chicken to take a strike and hire replacements when this started in the 1950s.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.