AJ,

No management in its right mind would let a union post stuff on company property during an organizing campaign. Or campaign in any way for the union in work areas during working hours. After all, whose property is it, anyway? That's fair and it's legal.

It is illegal to threaten to fire someone for joining a union or threaten to close down a plant if the union gets in. It is legal, however, to put forth examples where unions have caused plants to close. This may be interpreted as a threat, though it's not.

Any company fighting a union organizing attempt tries to be squeaky clean legally, if they're not total morons, because the NLRB interprets the law to protect powerless workers against big mean companies (think Ford in 1935). In actuality, today's situation is usually a big powerful union against a relatively powerless little company, and in this respect, the union has an advantage.

You are absolutely right about the effect of automation and the bean counters having no loyalty to anything but the bottom line at companies like GM. But here's the point, at least for the country as a whole. When I started my career, about 32% of the work force belonged to unions. Last year it was about 9%. Total production and employment, of course, is much higher. It's the union members that are disproportionately taking the biggest hits from automation, etc., which is not a very good predictor of job security in future decades.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.