AJ,

This will be my last response to you as your bruised ego has obviously made you enter into territory you know very little about.
The fact is, all jurisdictions have levels of electrical licensing. I won't go into all the different licensing levels, just suffice it to say that they vary from qualification to install low voltage, non hazardous cable like speaker wire and telephone, up to and including licenses reflecting qualifications to install substations and utility level high voltage lines.

Most states with accredited licensing apprenticeships have levels of apprenticeship as well to suit the levels of training requirements for the licenses required to maintain qualifications for this work.
Most states with these accredited apprenticeship programs now have reciprocal licensing programs from state to state. I'm not sure if Michigan is one of them, however I know that North Dakota, Washington, Alaska, New York, and many other states have entered into reciprocal agreements with Oregon in this program.

Fact is, I have worked in substations, mills, steel factories, residential work, commercial high rises, hotels, you name it. Another fact you are probably unaware of, utility workers have licensing that specifies what work they are qualified and licensed to perform. They are not allowed to perform the duties I am licensed to perform, however my license allows me to do all their duties. In other words, it is unlimited. Since I also have a State Supervisor's license, I am also licensed to design, install, and implement unlimited electrical systems, services, and other electrical equipment as would be required by the project. This obviously comes with a level of liability that I must bear.
Now, it is understandable that you may be wanting to stand up for your maintenance workers. And I will admit that some of them are very good within their license limitations. However, it is obvious from the turn this thread and discussion has taken that many of us don't understand both sides of this discussion- both the union/non union issues, and the broader work skills discussion which underlies it.
I don't pretend to understand your particular job specifications or skill set, but you obviously have made the leap to understanding what I do though I am just now explaining (in somewhat limited terms) what my responsibilities entail. Obviously, this discussion is getting nowhere and I'll step out of it for now. In all this, as I said, you need to read between the lines. What isn't said is quite often as important to this type of discussion as what is being said.
Suffice it to say, I agree with Stick on this one- a man's skills and work ethic should be more important than what a union does for him to start with. Unscrupulous employers would be in deep [bleep] if everyone would stand up for themselves and do what is necessary to maintain a type of work ethic that is in demand at all times. However, you and I both know that isn't going to happen in our lifetimes so I guess this discussion has just been another entertaining subversion of our time. It HAS been interesting, though.- Sheister

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.