Reading the quote above I see that the individual to whom you refer has “collected union wages” and “received union benefits.” I’m of the impression that our “scab” is an employee of SBC not the union and in fact has been so for many years.

journeyman, forgive me, i misspoke... the individual(scab) collected wages and benefits that were negotiated for by the union..... concerning his long term employment with SBC though, how long has SBC been in business??..... i don't live in a cocoon and i don't think that i'd heard of them 2 years ago. are they a new company? a management buyout? who are they??? and did they step up to the plate with a skilled workforce already in place??? i ask because i don't know... i do know that several long time communications workers here locally work for SBC, and some of these guys never heard of the outfit before either..... they are long time employees who went to work one day, put on a different shirt, and had a different logo on the truck door...

as far as the articles of membership go, i will admit to a leap in logic based on the premise that the CWA is organised under the AFL/CIO... if you know differently i will retract the statement. if they are under the AFL/CIO it is an article of membership that they honor a legal picket by any AFL/CIO bargaining unit...

The real issue, as silly and nonsensical as it may seem to the employee needing to pay bills or feed his family, or even to the public in general is one of accountancy – specifically the underfunding of future liabilities by large corporations under GAAP, and the stark truth is the implications to our economy are much too complex and important to be “hammered out” between the corporations who engineered the problem and union officials

why is this company trying so hard to back out of the agreements that it made... and why are so many insistent that the union must concede, without resistance, benefits that it worked and bargained for in good faith??? a few here believe that the unions are only fit for sheep... a few more insist that the unions need to be more like sheep.....

"Chances Will Be Taken"