TG,

I buy 'em coated and coat my own...with the Lion's share being coated by me. A slickified 105 'Max is a tough act to follow and hell on wheels.

It rates building a rifle around and then some.

Hint.

Here's 1000 105HPBT's literally making the rounds. Useta segregate X's from cup/cores in tumbling operations,via dedicated bowls for each,but them days is gone. I like to do a minimum of 1000 at a whack,assuming 30cal or less.

[Linked Image]

'nagan,

I painfully lost my favoritest K'Meer Deer many moons ago and still lament that void,if I can find the contact info I'll get it to you,in regards to an acrylic call that has been doing nice things for all of us. It's crystal clear both physically and in relative tonality,plus it's capable of carrying exceptional volume,if/when one wishes to ply that route. It uses friction tape as a "reed" and holds tone very well and in the most unforgiving of weather patterns. I really should have been wailing away on it yesterday,when chasing the pair of smoking HOT Woof tracks I cut,despite the 50+ mph winds at the time. Sounds like it's gusting 70 or better now,if only for conversation and I'm certain all my tracking snow has Chinooked away...so will make some casts instead.

Anywhoo,the Call is pictured here.

[Linked Image]

FO',

I prefer '3 files to everything,in regards to IQ. FF hasn't ever horned me up,whether 5D,5D2 or 1DS. The DS is obviously a robust body and has killer AF,but it's frame rate and buffer are exceedingly shallow in their abilities. If you nail exposure,keep ISO's skinned back and shoot with love,it is certainly capable of blowing minds...but the '3 is far more forgiving and versatile. The 1DS is an exceedingly poor choice from which to gun SOOC JPEG's. It was a far better camera at it's unveiling in 2004 for $8000,than it is Today for $1000 used. Too bad both the 5D and 5D2's AF sucks so much ass,or they might be viable for niche pursuits.

APS-H(1.3x) is my favorite DSLR sensor size,though I've got APS-C(1.6x) and FF. The pending 1DX appeals as a curiousity and I can see myself snagging a 1D4 for kicks...but the more I shoot the '3,the more I love it and it is simply amazing in every way. I've squarely beat the hell out of that body and thus far it's only suffered a slight crack near the viewfinder,because I tossed it 20' or so onto the rocks. Surprisingly the attached Siggy 50mm F1.4,was never the worse for wear.

The 1D Mark II N easily remains the most for the least in Today's used market and I'd greedily take it over all of their APS-C offerings,including the 7D...if only because I've shot 'em all.

In regards to the 24-70 or the 24-105,I'll greedily grab the extry 35mm of focal length and gain IS,to trade but one stop of light in the crossfire. One could easily argue the sanctity of melding the 24-105 and a 100-400,to really do it all in but a scant two lenses.