Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by Cocadori
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by badczech
BC caps break. In the last dozen yrs I've broken 4. They are cheap and unfortunately I carry an extra set in my pack. But, they simply work fantastic. I do have a set of Leupolds Alumia Flips on a Leupold 6x42 that have performed well over the last 3 seasons under snowy conditions. I tend to believe Boxer and his rain infested results with Alumia Flips, and Scopesheild's sock style cover. I hunt Elk in the sideways rain and fog in Coastal Washington mountain ranges where 75 plus inches fall a year and BC caps are a must. I also hunt in North Idaho and NW Montana and have yet had Alumia Flips fail in Rain or snow.

We get about 9 inches of rain fall a year. I never have had the Alumina fail in the light rain or dry snow here in Wyoming. None of them are really waterproof and I fight dust way more than serious rain.

Because I carry a rifle in a saddle scabbard the lower profile of the Alumina is an advantage.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The biggest advantage from where I sit is the fold flat feature.

[Linked Image]

Nice mules... work on the saddles but nice mules...

Ha, I assume you mean the pack saddles with the mesh panniers.

I am a constant cause of embarrassment to my dad and anyone who has to travel down the trail with me.

I do manage to get loads from here to there without needing to stop and shift loads or repack. That�s the whole bull on Mariah there and while the trip out was pretty level and only 4 miles she never needed a shift or repack.

[Linked Image]

It ain�t pretty but I have lost all interest in diamonds and can barely stomach a well done box hitch.

[Linked Image]

yeah...I'm kinda like your father... I cringe a bit looking at the "easy way out". I'm not a fan of the diamond or the double diamond.. (good song by Ian Tyson though ) The box is a favorite of mine. However, I've migrated to a modified sierra box hitch for just about everything. Which now has taken the mostest favorite hitch ...ever... easy to use and teach.

I do like your mules though.. tough to beat a good string of riding and packing mules... looks like (hard to see) you need to have someone show you how to "bell" the tails though... Kinda lets people know you can ride or pack em...

I used to travel a bit further than a couple miles though...

[Linked Image]

[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/wyowhisper/packtrips/websize/Colter%204-6%20Months%20057.jpg[/img]

To get to very, very secluded places ....

[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/wyowhisper/efcamp/websize/DSC01222B.jpg[/img]