Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
That's great news!
If you could give a quick tutorial it would help me when I talk with my son about sourcing some pisco in Dallas.
Ed

Ed,
Just like wine and spirits, different grapes will give the drink different qualities.
"Acholado" is a blend of different grapes or musts, which gives the drink some variety of aromatic components to it. You have the pure ones, which depending on the grapes (classic ones being the Quebranta, Italia, Albilla, Torontel, Negra Corriente grapes) can be drier or sweeter to the palate.
Mosto Verde (Green must) is sweeter, since the distillation process is initiated when the fermentation or grapes is not complete, hence there are some sugars still present. It can be made of any kind of grape.
Any and all of them are great to drink on their own. I usually use the acholados for cocktails and save the pure ones for drinking straight, but that's me.

As far as what to choose it all depends on what you guys prefer. I would recommend some acholado for the pisco sour and maybe some quebranta (dryer) or italia grape type for trying straight (little shot glasses work, though you sip not gulp it). It can be mosto verde too, and that will have some more sweetness to it which the ladies may prefer.

Do you have the link to the distributor so I can recommend some?
Otherwise the following are trustworthy and good:
Gran Cruz, Cuatro Gallos, Vi�as de Oro, Biondi, Ocucaje, Viejo Tonel, (probably in that order). I realize there are many more offerings.
I will bring some of mine, which is Vi�as de Oro, but it might help to know what has been obtained so I won;t bring the same type and we can try the different types.