Originally Posted by BrotherBart
Originally Posted by CCCC
Somewhere back there I managed to grasp the theory and design principles associated with the AI. Did you ever have a quiet personal conversation with Ackley on the subject of his various "improvements"? There is more than one way to mess up a finely made rifle.

I've never talked to Mr.Ackley but I've read both of his books. Have you done either?
I also have been reloading for over 30 years and shoot through a chronograph when I develop all of my loads.
I'll say this about your statement that "improved yields no results one way or another". You are wrong. Straightening the case walls and moving the shoulder angles from 28 degrees to 40 degrees allows the case to hold more powder. It's as simple as that. I can't believe I have to say this but... More powder means more velocity.
I suggest that you stick with 22's and the old Ought Six.

There goes that trigger finger again - quick to call a guy "wrong" with no basis, and to suggest that he limit his shooting - that must take a powerful intellect. Quite a bit of blowing up there - but 30 years of "experience" and using a chronograph may not mean much, particularly when merely talking basics. Can reading Ackley's books mean much when the fellow seems unable to understand simple writing here. I never said that an AI yields no results one way or another. I said that applying that term "improved" yields no such result. Kindly re-read for comprehension. (No matter what "they" say, the term "improved" yields no result one way or the other - it is a label used by the designer.) I feel that the length or depth of my personal experience means little, or nothing, in these situations but - in direct answer to your inquiry - yes, I have done both.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron