Originally Posted by ctsmith
Somebody help me with the math. Potentially millions infected in the US but we're still at around 200k world wide, and it started in the most dense population in world? I can't seem to reconcile that.

From the reports we've gotten, however misleading, it seems the Chinese had the capability and the will to lock down a major city. And relatively quickly, which as I recall from a month or so ago, was reason for some here to believe the Chinese knew what it was and where it came from.

Can you imagine the hoopla if the the City of Seattle, Kings County, the State of WA, or heaven forbid the Gov of the US of A had come in and shut down Seattle on first cases arising there? For an unknown illness? And further, before discovering what it was, how it seemed to be working, and where it came from, what would the outcry have been like if they had closed the State borders of WA, all flights in and out of the airports there, and then started doing the same whenever a case popped up anywhere in the US?

Numbers are going up here daily. More and more folks are exhibiting symptoms but not even being tested as some here have pointed out. It's now seemingly confirmed in every State in the Union.

Will it hit "millions" in the US? Seems to me that's what "THEY" are trying to avoid. You know, the government entities attempting to avoid all out chaos if this scheidt does get completely rampant in the population.

Yes, folks. Hate to tell you freedom lovers the bad news, but these measures are all about control.

For fuggs sake, just a few cases of the virus in the US a couple of weeks back and there was a run on every roll of TP in the country, every bottle of hand sanitizer, fisticuffs and hair pulling over the last of the bottled water on the shelves. Think what would happen if all of a sudden, 10% , 25% or more of the country came down with this stuff quickly.

Fuggers be in the hospitals, right up in the doctors' faces, with their pistols, sayin' "You save my momma first, I don't care about them other folks".

Shooting each other over the last can of tuna, or bag of Cheetos. And now the panic stricken are buying up guns and ammo. Oh joy, oh fuggin' joy.

If, and a big if, this self quarantine, shelter in place crap does its job, maybe we won't even hit the million mark. Maybe it gets a chance to die out peacefully. If it doesn't work, all bets are off.

ctsmith, have you ever worked with a highly infectious organism in a population of confined animals? (agriculture) Once diagnosed you attempt to separate all infected animals (euthanizing even), keep other groups of uninfected animals "quarantined", limit contact of workers and equipment between groups of animals, and if another group becomes infected those get isolated even further while being treated. Simple animal husbandry. Just what these "lock down" measures are attempting to do.

I hope this virus doesn't hit your area as hard as it has hit others, especially the highly susceptible folks in your family, should there be any.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?