battue, hope you and the dogs are doing well.

"Have you every worked with a population of confined animals, that have a contagious disease?" Well, that is irrelevant because we are not a world population of confined animals. Animals yes, but far from confined and staying home from the local Red Lobster and McDonalds will have no significent effect in containing the spread. Just today, two different flower garden parking lots were fairly full with the gals getting their spring plantings. Was out on the road for a couple hours....Must have passed and been passed by at least 10,000 cars. Confined?????....I think not...

I think you missed my point. Which is minimizing the contact by isolating and spreading out time with infected parts of the population. No one has mentioned infectious units. A person (animal) has to be exposed to enough infectious units in order for the disease to progress to a harmful state. Makes sense that the more one animal (human) is exposed to other animals, who are possibly infected, they would likely pick up a higher load of infectious units. Well, it makes sense to me anyway, as someone who worked with infectious diseases.

Ask our rancher folks here if they move healthy animals away from unhealthy animals, even in a fairly "unconfined" space such as a pasture. And move any showing signs of disease elsewhere, away from the herd.

Basically, that's what is being attempted here by the "authorities". The garden ladies are much less likely (but not 100%) to contact one or more carriers than 17000 fans at a hockey game.............or even 250 customers at the Red Lobster in an evening. Should an infected person go to the Red Lobster, do you honesty think the bus person and wait staff will do a thorough job of cleaning where that person went over the course of their fine dining experience? However, an infected person has much less chance of contaminating a whole restaurant if they just stop the car and the staff hands a meal to them through the car window.

Again, I hope you and the pups are enjoying the spring. Ours hasn't come yet. 17F again this morning

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?