One game Warden experience I will always remember, Moose Styer, and me were going Elk hunting on Yellow creek, East of Meeker, Colo. we stopped in town at the Meeker Cafe, for breakfast they opened at 5:00 AM my mother owned the Meeker Cafe, while we were eating Mom came over to our Booth and very quietly said I have a Cow Tag if you see a nice dry Cow Shoot her for me. OK
We were driving my 1952 Willy's Jeep, up Yellow creek road we went about 1/2 hr after day light we spotted a group of Elk just off the road that looked like they were going to cross in front of us about 200 yrds, no big bulls but a couple of rag horned young bulls and about 8-10 Cows, Moose, was hunting meat not bone, he gets out and shoots a Bull DRT, every thing crosses in front of us, we drive up to about 5 yrds from the Bull and tie a rope to him and drag him to the edge of the road and gut him out, we put our rope pulley on the roll bar and pulled him up and got him loaded in the Jeep, We are headed back to town, we didn't go very far and and Moose hits me and say's there a nice Cow! she's about 40 yrds away looking at us, I got out real slow and knelt down and shot her right between the eyes, with my 30-06, we pulled her off the road and gutted her out and hung her in a tree with my pulley, and went to town, and put Moose's, Bull in the walk in cooler at the Meeker Cafe, by then it was lunch time and the Meeker Cafe was packed with people, I told Mom I had her Cow she said come get me about 2:30 when things slow down and I will go with you to get her and Tag her.
We picked up Mom, She was wearing a dress and her grey wool coat with a grey fox collar and loafers, we didn't have camo back then, we go up Yellow Creek and load Moms Cow and head back to town, When we get to the junction of the county road and HWY 13 there sits 2 Game Wardens,we knew both of them, they ate at Moms almost every day during hunting season, we had to stop as they were checking hunters, they looked over the Cow and checked Moms license, The Warden say's to Mom, how far away was this Cow when you shot her? Mom say's about 150 yrds!! the Warden say's that was a hell of a good shot right between the eye's, Mom Say's I always shoot them between the eye's saves meat, they knew she was lying, but let us go on, don't think i ever held my breath that long again.Rio7