As far as the author and the photo...in that time period a person had a Rifle, Shotgun and a .22 if lucky. Probably more deer shot with a Model 94 or 30-40 Krag than anything and the choice was purely fiscal. Very few had the means for anything else so they used what they had.....forever. Don't overthink it..if you like open sights that's even better and just remember that most times you may get a single shot. I am in N.MN. and have hunted on foot for 54 years and love big country. Most areas are less than a 50 yard shot but there are some more open as well as slashings. Longest shot I have made is <100 yards or so with most in the 30-40yard range. I shoulder shoot, as best I can, to take out their front legs.I do this as we have most of our bucks dress out over 210# with a few over 240#. I have a tremendous amount of respect for them as they are big bodied and I want to ensure a quick death. Most times I have an open sight 760 Remington .270 in my hands, though, if I know that I will be still hunting a slashing I will most likely take my Scoped Bolt Rifle in 30-06. As far as a 6.5 Swede....there are thousands of Moose Hunters in Europe that swear by it.....I believe in long bullets as well. Hope this helps.
Darrel Wick

Last edited by mauserfan; 03/27/23.

RAVENS & WOLVES