Blackheart,

Dunno what difference there is in killing deer or any other big game at 50 yards or less in thick cover, but apparently believe because you do it with New York whitetails that you're some kind of amazing.

For your info, when I started hunting in Montana it wasn't legal to kill more than two deer a year, and sometimes only one. These days you can kill more, but generally in my specific area its 2-3. I could drive around the state (which is 800 miles long) and kill maybe 9, seven of which would have to be whitetail does. But there are too many other big game animals to do that--and some of them fill far more freezer space than a whitetail doe.

I have taken 9 big game animals in Montana in one year, but aside from a whitetail or two, they included mule deer, elk, black bear and pronghorns. Many of those were taken at 50 yards or less--and have been in other years

Have also taken as many as 20-30 deer-sized or larger big game animals in one year, when also hunting other states, or sometimes countries. Some of these were when culling deer in the U.S. in various places, especially Texas, or similar-sized animals elsewhere in thick cover.

Sorry you have trouble 6x in your variable scope. I have never called it the best magnification for big game hunting, whether for deer or anything else, but back when variables were less reliable I hunted with 6x a lot, and found it worked far better than most hunters believe, even a close ranges--partly because it provides a better view through vegetation than lower-powered scopes, and especially iron sights. That's not just my experience either.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck