Originally Posted by william_iorg
tdoyka,
Francis Sell’s thoughts on C&C bullets mirror yours.
In the article, Middle Ground Deer Rifles Sell wrote of C&C bullets shot from magnum rifles blowing up at close range and Sell included the Partition bullets in this thought.
Sell felt C&C bullets performed acceptably at 3,000 fps and below in the 6mm’s, 25’s and 6.5’s.

Sell, in his American Rifleman article on his .25-35 Tomcat wrote that he felt the best velocity for the “Brush Busting bullet” was between 2, 250 and 2,500 fps.
In Rifle Magazine No. 83, September 1982 Sell wrote of his .25-35 Tomcat pushing the 117-grain Hornady round nose bullet to 2,585 fps. It was this article, I believe where Sell wrote he was getting a bit more velocity from his cartridge than originally intended.

Our deer and pigs are not overly large and like you, most everyone I know shoots C&C bullets almost exclusively.
The Hornady FTX bullet is a plastic tip C&C bullet with a reputation for Rapid Expansion inside 75 yards. The FTX bullet, when fired from the .308ME, 307 Win, and .300 Savage is hard on front shoulders, even when the bullet enters just behind them.
Many of us have observed hair blown off the entrance wound in a 1” circle. This is seen with shots taken inside 75 yards. The FTX bullet does kill well but in many respects the tissue damage is smiilar to the 130-grain .270 Win when it is used at close range.
All that bloodshot meat goes to the Ravens. Like a lot of olderguys I would rather it went to me – the old “Cake and Eat It Too’

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I sure wish I could find some more of Sell's articles scanned so I could keep them for posterity. I buy all his books as I run into them, but they are not that common where I live.