I've often wondered what Sell would think of today's array of big game bullets. Back when he was hunting, aside from the Nosler Partition the only bullets readily available were cup-and-cores--which is of course one reason many hunters used lower-velocity cartridges for "woods" hunting": C&C bullets worked most reliably at close range when started at moderate velocities--and ruined less meat, important to Sell when he was hunting for lumber camps.

But today there's a far wider variety of bullets, some of which work very reliably at close range even when started considerably faster--and also ruin less meat, especially "monolithics"--which also penetrate very well even in lighter weights than "traditional" for close-in cartridges. I know this due to actually using them to kill a bunch of game from up close to several hundred yards--as has Eileen. And anymore meat is the main reason we hunt--well, along with liking to hunt. We already have too many inedible big game parts hanging on our walls (and from the garage rafters), and have seen about the same amount of meat damage from lighter-weight monolithics at 3000+ fps as larger, slower cup-and cores started at much slower velocities.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck