Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Originally Posted by memtb
I’ve never really thought about a “dedicated stalking rifle”……or perhaps that’s all that I ever considered! I want a rifle that is fully capable of handling any situation that I may find myself in!

My hunting can result in shots measured in feet, while hours later could result in the potential to shoot to the Earth’s curvature …..though, my personal max range is a self-imposed 600 yards in perfect conditions! My cartridge/caliber choice also reflects the possibility of taking game of sizes ranging from a 100 pound Pronghorn to deer, moose, elk, Black Bear depending upon the licenses that I have…..then there’s also the “very remote” possibility of bumping into a grizzly in a foul mood at the aforementioned range measured in feet!

While my cartridge/caliber choice in 9 pound pkg (scoped, loaded, slung) is certainly not #1 on everyone’s list…..it has worked quite well for me for 33 years!

As a qualifying statement…..I am a “one gun” hunter! memtb

You have two problems. 1) Your loony status is suspect, and 2) You aren't hunting in the swamps, where a long shot is 50 yards. Both can be cured, trust me!

Now, Queen Elizabeth she fell in love with me
We were married in Milwaukee secretly
But I got tired and shook her and ran off with General Hooker
To shoot 'skeeters down in Tennessee!

I grew up hunting in Central Louisiana, and have a pretty good idea of what it takes to hunt the thickets….I stand by my choice! 😉

DD, we have lots of guns to shoot…. but, prefer to use only one rifle for hunting! 🙂 memtb

Last edited by memtb; 06/23/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024