Originally Posted by tdoyka
[quote=william_iorg]this buck was shot by a Ruger #1 in 270 Win with 130gr Nosler BT with IMR4320 at about 3000fps. i shot the buck about 10 - 12 feet in the shoulder (there was brush in the way of behind the shoulder shot). the buck ran about 30+/- yards and then it died. while tracking the buck thru the brush, there was NO blood. when i found it, there was NO blood. when i field dressed the buck, there was NO Blood until i penetrated the diaphragm. i found the blood of lung soup and chunks of heart. i found the bullet, er well, small pieces of the bullet. the bullet fragment on the shoulder and it went into the lung cavity and the heart. it did not exit the lung cavity or bruise the off side of the deer. aka, lung soup with chunks of heart.
[img]https://i.imgur.com/FP1RbOG.jpg?1[/img]

Nice buck, tdoyka. I had almost the same experience with a buck I described about 20 pages ago in this thread. It was a 30-06 180 gr corelokt going considerably slower, though. Less than 10 feet, he ran like a freight train for 50 yards without a heart. Shot behind the shoulder, five small exit holes in a 10 inch pattern, and not even pieces of heart - just red jelly. I think, his heart was mid-beat and full of blood like a balloon like shooting a milk jug full of water at 10 feet. Anyway, that corelokt blew up. They've behaved perfectly for me 30 yards and out.

Brush is a crap shoot. When I was young and dumb(er) I shot a buck through a Christmas tree on top of a mountain. Figured it was only 50 yards and those 180gr round-nose corelokts are brush busters. He was only 5 or 10 feet behind the tree and it was the thin flimsy outer tips of the branches I had to get through. He ran at the shot and not like he had been hit. I ran the bolt, dropped to the irons (we haven't even mentioned see-thru mounts in 20+ pages?!) and put one through his lungs. No evidence that the first shot even touched him. I've also, had good luck with those bullets and brush, so...

Thanks for keeping the Sell stuff coming! Very much enjoying it.

Also, reading a bunch more Mule Deer and thinking about my own 1% or 10% or fill-in-the-blank % rifle. Geedubya's fantastic 30 30 double notwithstanding, that's what we're really talking about. Maybe.

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder