Originally Posted by Earlyagain
And some antler restrictions can be pretty detailed. Sometimes sex and species ID can be too important to chance.

It is interesting to read the etiquette of different areas.
Here we are overrun with does and spikes. Everyone is encouraged to take one of each. The six point is unusual as it seems the youth hunts keep the numbers down.

It was pointed out that “Old Men” were advocating iron sight. May be true on this thread but there are a lot of young people shooting iron sights. For quite a few years hunters out here have been chasing Allyn Tedman’s “Small Deer” (Jackrabbits) with iron sight lever action rifles. The .357 Magnum is arguably the most popular cartridge, but the discussions get warm over cartridge, make and model of rifle and sights.
With iron sights, not every shot is a hit.
I remember Dave Scovill writing of hunting called coyotes with his .25-35 short rifle. The action was close, fast, and fun.

Have anyone noticed you can aim at a close-in deer with an iron sight rifle and it is not alarmed. Raise a scope sight rifle to your shoulder and the Big Eye seems to get their attention. Just something, I have noticed in the yard.
Here is another picture from the ’61 Gun Digest.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Slim