Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by okie john
Originally Posted by 1eyedmule
I wonder why a square bead. Now I'll be thinking about that all night.

It used to be called a "Sourdough bead." The top of a round bead can seem distorted if the light hits it from the side, but the Sourdough's flat top doesn't. It works best if you match it with a peep sight.

Sadly, it's like pulling teeth to find one these days.

Okie John

I’ve cobbled up a couple or three, really blades, using Skinner blade front sights, an Xacto saw (for the brass ones) or hacksaw, a file, and paint pens (those are available at a shocking cost from Skinner, or pretty cheap from Amazon). My old eyes need a square top sight. The sights come in various base widths and heights, and even the steel ones are easy to trim to size. My next one will be for an old FN with its tiny dovetail, which will require a good bit of file work. Standard 3/8” models generally need little or no file work on the dovetail.

The brass ones can be painted black except where you want the brass exposed, and the steel ones can have any color that tickles you on the serrated edge. Painting that part white first makes the final color brighter.

This makes sense and I won't be happy until I have a square bead to try out on the peep sighted 7600. Thanks guys!

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder