Originally Posted by pabucktail
One point Sell made and I find jives with my experience is the ability of certain cartridges to penetrate brush better than others. Like him, I’ve found that velocities between about 2100-2500 do better in this regard than higher velocity loadings. This is total heresy today, but if I was to pick one velocity for all my hunting it would be 2400 or thereabouts.

Many years ago there was a test run by a hunting magazine (Shooting Times or Guns and Ammo) writer, that shot various bullet types, styles, velocities, through a maze of wooden dowel rods. The higher velocity, spritzer bullets actually maintained there initial path better than the bullets accepted as “brush buster” cartridges/ bullets! I think that his conclusion was that the higher bullet rotational speed (gyroscopic effect) helped those bullets remain better stabilized! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024