Originally Posted by Mule Deer
tdoka,

Yeah, the first Barnes Xs were not all that accurate--and didn't open reliably. I tested my first, both on targets and game, in 1989--if I recall correctly. They didn't group very well, even in otherwise very accurate rifles--and didn't open reliably.

I got to now Randy Brooks around 10-12 years later, and he acknowledged the problems. He said the major problem he had early on was getting consistent copper--often supposedly "pure" copper was harder than it should have been, which not only caused expansion but accuracy problems.

He couldn't afford to buy more consistent copper until the late 1990s--and that's when I found X-Bullets (not the present TSXs) started grouping better and expanding more reliably. This included the 120-grain X-Bullet started at around 3000 fps from a 6.5x55--which grouped three shots into 1/2" or so at 100 yards--and expanded very well on a pronghorn buck at just under 400 yards. (There were some other animals taken along the way.) Also has great luck both in accuracy and expansion with the 250-grain 9.3 around that time.

Anyway, the accuracy and expansion problems were totally solved with the introduction of the Tipped Triple-Shock X-Bullet in 2007. Eileen and I have used a bunch of them since then, and I've also seen around 100 more animals taken with them by fellow hunters. They work very well but it took a while to work out the details. Just as it has with various other bullets.

Have a big tackle box filled with bullets recovered from big in calibers from .224" on up to .40+--and hunting notes that describe how each worked, along with the specific animal, range, muzzle velocity, etc.

i know that bullet didn't group well and i'm ok with that. i didn't know about the copper until a few years ago.

i luv the Husqvarna m46 in 9.3x57. it is a cast bullet dream. i use 280gr RN GC and my favorite 275gr WFN GC with IMR4895 that goes around 1800-1900fps. i've shot 6 or 7 deer with the 275gr and 2 or 3 deer with the 280gr. the 9.3x57 really puts the deer down, i'm talking a DRT (dead right there). this is my second favorite rifle (#1 being a Winchester m94 in 35/30-30).

9.3x57
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

i had my gunsmith D&T for a scope, bent the bolt handle, put a Buehler 2 postion safety and a Dayton-Traister cocking piece/speed lock striker spring (aka cock on opening kit). i had a hard time using the original cock on closing, being one handed.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".