Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by Blackheart
At 7 yards with 6x you're badly out of focus and your field of view is about 14 inches. Smaller than the rib cage of a middlin sized deer. At 1x you are well in focus and your field of view is about 6 feet. Big enough to encompass the full body length of a big deer and then some. It's easy to find yourself within 7 yards of deer in heavy cover. I've killed several at that and closer over the years. In fact, I've been that close and still not able to shoot because all I could see was feet/lower legs under the young spruce. My hunting partner had that same situation just last season. Within feet for several minutes and never saw anything but feet. Tempted to guess the location of chest and send one through the branches but did not and the deer eventually blew out straight away without offering a shot. Something to keep in mind when selecting a scope for close cover hunting.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, once killed a running wild boar at about 10 yards with a variable set on 6x. That's obviously not 7 yards--but yes, the focus was fuzzy. But the field was big enough that I could see where the should was--and the reticle was in focus. Plus, the pig was so close I could easily point the rifle at the "correct" end of the animal. At the shot the pig immediately dropped, its snout catching the ground, resulting in the pig lying dead facing the opposite direction from when it was running. The bullet had broken both shoulders and the spine.

Now, would I have chosen 6x for making the shot? No, but there were extenuating circumstances--and it worked. Which you apparently will never be able to comprehend how--or even try to.
I know it can be done. I'm sure most folks who've done much hunting have killed game at close range that was out of focus in their scope, including me. I've had fixed 6x scopes on several rifles over the years starting back in the 80's. I've used them for deer hunting and found them to be less than ideal for use in heavy cover. I would not recommend to anyone to put on a still hunting/tracking rifle today. A 6x scope is simply not a top choice or even a good one for such use. Neither would I recommend a variable with more than 3x on the bottom end for such hunting in mixed heavy cover and open terrain. You might have found it a bit more challenging picking out and hitting the shoulder of an out of focus 10 yard pig with a maze of out of focus conifer boughs between you and it. I know from experience anybody would be better off with fewer X's in that scenario. That's simply a fact and whether you or anyone else could make 6x work doesn't change it.