Somehow I missed this thread when it first posted. I'm glad it got bounced back up to the top. Great photos & stories. Thanks for sharing!

Originally Posted by Fireball2
I've got many favorites. Depends on the day and mood.
The same. I hunt in areas where the terrain doesn't vary widely. So I have the luxury of being able to pick the right rifle for the type of shot I'll probably encounter. I know that other posters in this thread have to account for a much wider range of varying possibilities where they hunt.

Originally Posted by smithrjd
Have two rifles, a Steyr Classic Mannlicher in 6,5X55, and a new Henry Bigboy 45-70. Retirement property, Arkansas, no shot beyond 40 yards in the woods either work well. Both have irons and a low power scope as Arkansas has a point requirement for bucks and my old eyes are not what they used to be. Short barrels, nice weight when quick shouldering. Fast on target. Second shots not really practical. If you miss the first one, there will be no second one. I compare it to grouse hunting.

I can identify with this post: My 6,5x55 is a Ruger #1S & my larger bore is a .405 Winchester 1885 Traditional Hunter with a Marble peep sight. The last deer I didn't put in the freezer was in some high grass on the edge of a bog outside of Morrilton, AR. It stepped out into the gloom of dusk right after sunset as I was doing 180 degree scans of the woods & I almost missed it because it blended in so well. While I was trying to determine if it was legal in the low light (it was!), it took a step behind some brush and evaporated like a ghost.

Originally Posted by shaman
Here is Sell and his stalking gun. He describes it as "A light handy combination for brush shooting-- short 20 inch barreled, Mannlicher-stocked , 6.5X55 Rifle with a 2X scope."

Here are my two rifles for close hunting: An Uberti 1885 in .303 British & a Ruger #1 RSI in .275 Rigby. I use Hornady 150gr Interlock SP bullets in the .303 & Rigby 140gr Interlock SP (also loaded by Hornady) bullets in the .275 with a Leupold Big Bore 3x20 from their custom shop. So my Ruger is very similar in description to Sell's rifle and I can see why he liked that particular setup. Both of my rifles have slender forearms that feel particularly good in my hands. They both go to my shoulder naturally and point well. The Ruger at 36" long is the shortest rifle in my safe (this comparison is true as long as the stock on my Wilson Combat in .300 HAM'R is fully extended). I pulled the Weaver quarter rib off of the Uberti & replaced it with a plain rib for iron sights only.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by odonata; 05/16/23.