I've had a gaggle of different slug guns in the 20-ish years I've hunted IL, both smoothbore and rifled. They've mostly been 20 gauge, but also a couple of 12ga. They are indeed very effective, they just suck to shoot for those not fond of stiff recoil, and sabots have gotten absolutely stupid expensive. With slug guns typically being finicky animals, you can burn through a lot of money in a hurry finding out what's going to shoot well out of one.

The old rifled/foster or tail stabilized style slugs out of a smoothbore aren't nearly as bad on the wallet or shoulder. Thicker short range woods work is definitely right up thier alley, and some of them are suprisingly accurate. I've seen a couple that would shoot cloverleafs at 50yds.

Thankfully the state finally joined the 21st century and passed some legislation last year opening deer hunting up to some rifles here. I'll miss the old slug guns about as much as a brain tumor. I did hang onto my old 870 20ga slug gun and stash of sabots though, just in case I happen to ever need it again somewhere. 🤷‍♂️